Saturday, October 12, 2013

Your Unique Path and Other People


I once asked my Twitter followers what one should do when one half of a married couple is pagan and the other is not.  I never received any answers (probably due to a limited audience, but still).  I’ve been ruminating on the question myself, and so far I haven’t come up with any answers.  My husband is an atheist and passionate about his non-belief—so much so that he’ll remind that waitress at the local diner when she inevitably asks about our Christmas plans.  I, on the other hand, belong to one of the most fanciful religious traditions around.  He doesn’t understand the concept of “sacred space,” only “this is Saya’s area.”  He doesn’t understand that my garden/altar is not only my space, but a space for deity as well.  I guess I’m lucky inasmuch as he respects my personal space.

Honestly, I am having less of a problem with my husband than with the rest of my family.  I have been a practicing pagan since I was seventeen years old.  My parents thought it was a phase I would grow out of; I don’t think either of them expected it to last into my adulthood, let alone with the same strength and fervor.  My dad thinks I’m silly, and I’m sure that his opinion of the theatrics and drama of paganism have colored my own feelings toward ritual.  I mentioned in an earlier post that I have trouble not feeling ridiculous when I’m spell-casting or casting a circle.  My mother expects that one day I will become a Catholic again, like she did, although I haven’t heard her opinion since the Church has demanded $275 to grant her annulment and allow her to take communion.  Lately, her tone has been a little bitter when she speaks about the Church.

But returning to the marital question: what is one to do when one feels a pull towards the Goddess (or deity) and one’s other half doesn’t?  I don’t suppose there’s a lot either one of you can do.  If your spouse cannot support your spiritual beliefs and you are unwilling to sacrifice them for the relationship to work, I don’t see as how either one of you are compatible.  If you feel like your spouse will mock you for being part of a religion that encourages imagination, play-acting, and creativity, perhaps you don’t really believe what you think you believe.  Perhaps you are only trying to believe it because it is appealing to you in some other way.  That is, maybe you like being part of a “strange” minority religion, or you’ve been put off of a patriarchal view of deity.  I understand!  You want to believe in something so badly!

If this sounds like you, here is the trick to making it work.  If something about Wicca puts you off or sounds too preposterous to put your faith in—change it!  Omit it altogether, if you want!  There is no such thing as the “wrong” path.  What may be wrong for you will work for someone else.  Ultimately, it is up to each of us to search ourselves for what we truly hold dear in the darkest, deepest parts of ourselves.  Forget labels and titles.  We are long past the stage where every Wiccan must be initiated according to Gerald Gardner’s rules.  Of course, there will always be purists who resent this contamination of the original vein of Wicca and paganism.  Go ahead and leave them to it—their hang-ups have nothing to do with you.

And if you are afraid that you will never find a group that will accept you, never fear.  Any group becomes unwieldy if it gets large enough.  There are plenty of pagan groups that are willing to accept you just the way you are.  In fact, they are looking for someone like you because you can bring something special and unique to their group dynamic.  You could be an atheist Wiccan and still find a spot somewhere.  Don’t give up looking just yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment